I never realized how many things you could make in the shape of cupcakes. It’s amazing. Just a quick search on Pinterest will produce tons of results! And I’ll tell ya… I love it!! You wouldn’t think so, but just making food in the shape of a cupcake seems to make it taste better. No? Is that just me? Anyway, I digress.
The latest recipe I’ve come across was Meatloaf Cupcakes, thanks to Susan over at SGCC. Though, I used my own recipe for the actual meatloaf. Meatloaf just so happens to be one of my favorite foods, so when I saw this I couldn’t wait to try it. It turned out awesomely and I’ve made it several times since.
First thing’s first. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Next, gather up your ingredients. Ground beef (or you could use ground turkey), bread crumbs, onion, garlic, carrots (I used shredded for ease), pepper, salt, chili powder, cayenne pepper, ground thyme, an egg, and mashed potatoes (not shown).
Chop the onion, mince the garlic, and dice the carrot (unless you got the shredded like me) and add them to the mixing bowl.
Add the ground beef and mix it well, but make sure not to squeeze the ground beef. That will make it dry.
Once it’s well mixed, add it evenly to a greased cupcake pan.
*(A trick I’ve learned to make it easier is to use the foil cupcake liners instead of greasing the pan!)*
Now put the cupcakes into your oven for 30 minutes.
While they are cooking, it’s time to make the glaze. For the glaze you will need ketchup, cround cumin, honey, Worcestershire sauce, and your favorite hot sauce.
When the cupcakes have 20 minutes left on the timer, add the glaze.
The final step is to add the mashed potato “icing”. Make mashed potatoes however you normally would. It can be from scratch, from a box, or whatever. But make sure to make them slightly creamier than normal so they will pipe better.
Now pipe them onto the cupcakes. If you don’t have a piping bag, simply use a Ziplock bag. Put them back into the oven and broil for 2-3 minutes.
And there you have it! Meatloaf Cupcakes! Happy eating!
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 1½ cups Bread Crumbs
- ½ Medium Onion, Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- ¼ cup Carrots, Diced or Shredded
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 Egg
- Mashed Potatoes (for “Icing”)
- ½ cup Ketchup
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- Dash Hot Sauce (any kind)
- Preheat the oven to 350° then Mix the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and thyme in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and diced carrot to the mixing bowl.
- Mix in the ground beef to the bowl, making sure not to squeeze the beef (that will dry it out).
- Once it’s well mixed, add it evenly to a greased cupcake pan (or use foil cupcake liners instead of greasing the pan to make it easier.)
- Place in the oven and set the timer for 30 minutes.
- While they are cooking, make the glaze. Simply mix the ingredients in a bowl. When the cupcakes have 20 minutes left, add the glaze.
- Make mashed potatoes however you normally would, but slightly creamier than normal so they will pipe better. Then pipe them onto the cupcakes and broil for 2-3 minutes.
- To make the meatloaf easier to remove from the cupcake pan, use cupcake liners. I prefer Reynolds Foil Cupcake Liners.
- For more recipes, visit mirandabee.com